Friday, February 06, 2009

IOU Interest

By now, I have resigned myself to the fact that I will not be receiving the tax refund that I am owed from the State of California any time soon. I will instead be receiving an IOU. It's bad enough that the state gets to borrow money from me without my permission, but to top it off, I don't expect to be paid interest on it. I want interest! And I don't mean T-Bill interest, or State Bond interest or Bank Account interest. I want Credit Card interest! 18.9%! It is one thing to get a lower interest rate when you choose to put your money in that investment, but when someone, in this case the state, is able to borrow money from you without your permission, the lender should be entitled to the maximum interest rate allowed by law.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Culture of Corruption" - indeed.

Anonymous said...

It is the double standard that drives me crazy!
You would think that between what they are doing to us now (IOU) AND with Top Cabinet members not knowing how to pay taxes

you would think that...

If *YOU* make a mistake on your taxes, you are not treated like you should run the state finances, you are not treated like you should be a cabinet member.

Instead you are treated as WORSE than a drug dealer or thief. The treatment socially and legally is that of the gravest felon.
Is it impossible that my tax mistakes could be as innocent as a cabinet member??

All the policies that involve interest rates also show their lovely double standard. If the state doesn't want to pay, it simply doesn't pay. If you don't want to pay, you get free meals in prison. And what interest you pay if you are late on taxes and what interest they pay if they are late on refunding after over taxing you and having a year to use our money.

Brent Tuominen said...

I forgot to add penalties. I want interest and penalties.